Sunday, October 11, 2009

lothrop connections


The Sturgis Library got some press in the Cape Cod Times about our rededication of the Lothrop Bible in a ceremony yesterday that was attended by about 120 people -- inlucing many Lothrop (Lathrop, Lothropp, Lowthorpe) cousins, pictured above. Our library was built as John Lothrop's meetinghouse in 1644, which is how it gets its distinction as the oldest library building in the country.

This may not be of interest to most of you, except that I discovered in my research that we (the Loomis cousins, anyway) are, along with what seems like half the United States, descendants of a sort from John Lothrop. Our 5th great grandfather General Israel Putnam's second wife was John Lothrop's great-granddaughter.

This line goes -- for you all keeping score at home:

Rev. John Lothop
I
Samuel Lothrop
I
Samuel Lothrop 2nd
I
Deborah Lothrop Gardiner second wife of General Israel Putnam
I
Hannah Pope Putnam (Israel's daughter from first marriage) m John Winchester Dana
I
Israel Putnam Dana
I
Charles Smith Dana
I
Sarah Dana m Chester Loomis
I
Charles Loomis
I
Eliot Loomis
I
Lucy Loomis & siblings

Thus endeth the genealogical lesson for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment